Today I am going to share some of my experience of working with Text Entry Boxes when upgrading from Adobe Captivate 1 to Adobe Captivate 2.
Back in Adobe Captivate 1 WebAssist (the company I now work for) asked me if I would create a series of interactive simulations for an eCommerce extension to Dreamweaver – eCart. This was a very detailed project and involved me creating over 60 interactive project files, many of which included TEBs (Text Entry boxes.)
Recently due a number of corporate branding updates I had to upgrade the original Captivate project files from Adobe Captivate version 1 to version 2.
Naturally I started the lengthy process of testing the upgraded files to make sure that during the conversion process no issues had been introduced.
Imagine my horror when I found that any text I inserted into the Text Entry boxes (during preview / run-time) was rendered at a different font size in Adobe Captivate 2.
Here is the reason why this happens.
After upgrading a Captivate 1 project to Adobe Captivate 2, font in text entry boxes appears large in Adobe Captivate 2. This is because of a bug in Captivate 1 and Flash Player. The font used while editing and publishing the SWF file was not the same as the original font. This bug has been fixed in Adobe Captivate 2. However, Captivate 1 projects will continue to have large font in Text Entry Boxes when the projects are upgraded to Adobe Captivate 2.The Adobe Captivate team offers two workarounds to address this issue.
- After upgrading a Captivate 1 project to Adobe Captivate 2, open the upgraded project.
- Edit the font in a text entry box.
- Use the Apply all option to apply the change to all text entry boxes in the project.
Now in theory this all sounds fine and certainly much easier that the second workaround which I will introduce in a moment.The problem is that whilst you can change the font size in the TEBs in many cases when testing the TEBs at run-time having entered the correct text and moved to the next slide or whatever On Success action you have specified the text on the next slide of the project jumps slightly.
Now when you’re working with a single project file that has maybe one or two TEBs repositioning the Text Entry boxes isn’t a huge deal; especially since you can use the Advanced Interaction dialog box to locate all these controls. However, when you are working with multiple files all of which have many TEBs then this approach is simply a non-starter.
The second workaround might be a lot more complicated but at least it saves you from having to manually reposition your TEBs.
Here are the steps:
- Upgrade all the Captivate 1 projects to Adobe Captivate 2.
- From the Start menu, click Run, type REGEDIT, and click OK. The Registry editor appears.
- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Adobe > Adobe Captivate > 2 > FudgeFactor.
- Change the value of the FudgeFactor key to 1. The default value of the key is 1.4.
- Close the Registry editor. The changes are applied after you restart Adobe Captivate.
- Preview or publish the Adobe Captivate 2 projects.
What I do is create a folder on my Windows desktop and Label this “Fudge Factor is set to 1”